Storytime#3 Goodbye Kenya!



The year was 2000, the month December and the date the 27th. I was 18 years of age. So young, so innocent and to a very large extent so Naive and ignorant.
This is the day i had all my belonging packed ready to leave life as i had known it behind, and blindly but optimistically ready to flip a page and start a brand new chapter in my life.
The beginning of this chapter started with a frightened to death me and the flying machine of the Swiss-air company. 
My whole extended family had come to see me off. I guess everyone was a little worried about the little Rose traveling all alone across continents to a foreign land.
"What if this family doesn't come to pick you up? "What will you do?" My younger worried brother would ask me. "Why doesn't dad fly with you?" He would continue.
"Are you sure you translated that German letter correctly?" Did they understand the right date and time that you will arrive?" My mother would wonder
"Did you specify if it's the Kenyan time or the German time?" My dad would immediately follow up.
While everyone was worried about the arrival,  i was internally freaked out about the flight!
 After the tearful goodbye, it was just me and the flying machine.  The machine i had watched a million times fly over our house in Meru. So far and so tiny. So many times i had imagined sitting inside and flying like a bird. "Its so small" i would think to my naive self. "How many people can possibly fit inside there.?" I would ask myself. I would stand there under the hot Meru sun and watch it disappear to the horizon. I would guess according to the direction, where it possibly came from and where it was heading. "From South Africa to London." I would confidently conclude. I wondered how long such a flight took. They must sit so still because if anyone moved, the plane might lose balance and crush. I always thought, until this day. The day of my first flight! You will not believe it....but let me talk about that in my next storytime session!

Wishing you all a blessed weekend!
Receive my big HUG...

lots of luv
ItsRose_Beth

Comments