Storytime#7 The most horrifying day of my life part 3



Porto by night      Photo by Tobi.P

I had been robbed! That was certain. Or? Had i been robbed?

What do you call it: when you go to your own home, get your money from your safe and hand it over to strangers? Is that robbery?

There might not have been any physical force like muscles, knives or guns, but it was against my will. That i was sure.

I cried the whole afternoon till the last period was over. I could not concentrate in class. Every German word the teacher said, sounded like Chinese to me. I was lost in thoughts. Reconstructing the whole incident. Trying to find out how this could have happened. How could they have gotten into my mind? The only explanation i could find was the hand shake. I shook hands with the lady when she was asking for directions. She must have had something on her hands that made me crazy and even worse, stupid.

My lessons were over and it was time to go home.   5pm in the afternoon.

"Time to face the music," i thought. I wished my granny lived in the nearby, then i would go and hide at her place for the rest of my life.

In my Matatu home,  i imagined the worst possible scenario.My aunt will never trust me again. She will sent me back home, my parents will lock me up and i will spend the rest of my life in my village picking tea leaves.

"Is there even the slightest possibility that the couple would be waiting for me at the place that they asked me to meet them?" Okay, i had to laugh at myself for this stupid thought.

I arrived in Thika at 7pm. I knew i was wasting my time, but i couldn't help but hope i would recognize one of the mind manipulating couple. I would call the police on them, or even warn their next victim. But of-cause they were no where to be seen.

As i approached my aunt´s home i could hear noises from the house.
Did my aunt find out already that the money is missing? She must have. It was all the money she had. What is she thinking now?

Before i could even enter the door, she rushed to meet me:

"Rose, all our money is gone! I have searched everywhere (she pointed at the messed chaos of everything turned upside down), but i cant find it anywhere."
"I wanted to go grocery shopping, but the drawer was empty," she added almost out of breath.

 "I don´t know if some thief got in here, but i can not imagine when or how, because i was here all day long. Kev was crying most of the day, i guess his teeth are growing." she couldn't stop talking.

"They had reported that some homes had been broken into in this area the other day and i was thinking of finding a better  hiding place for our money. I thought i must have changed the place and forgot. But i´ve searched everywhere, and i can not find it" she kept on talking.
"I don´t know what we are going to...." I had to cut her short before  she went bananas.

I gathered all my courage and told her out loud, "I took the money."



(Check out the ending in part 4.)

It means so much to me that you read my posts. Thanks!!!


Lots of luv
ItsRose_Beth













Comments