Storytime#8 The most horrifying day of my life Part 4



Porto by night  /  Photo by Tobi.P

"What?" She asked astound, but did not wait for me to answer

"All of it? Why? For the matatu? For books? Why? Your eyes look red (from all the crying, i guess..)...is it drugs? she was asking question after question nonstop.

"So where is it now or at least the rest?" she asked and waited for an answer this time.

"I gave it to this couple that i met in the morning," i mumbled in a whisper that she hardly could hear a thing.

"Ati?" she asked in a high pitch. (Is it that what i had said was incomprehensible for her, or did she literally not hear what i said, i couldn't tell). I most certainly didn't want to repeat what i had said.

She was quiet for a while and signalized me to help her put the sofa back to its place. We then sat down in silence. 5 or 10 minutes i guess. Which occurred to me  like 10 hours.

"So tell me what happened," she said calmly after a deep breath.

I told her the whole story with every little detail.

"Didn't you see me come back? You stared right into my face. I even said bye to you as i left" i told her.

She denied seeing or hearing me. It was as though i were a ghost. I couldn't believe that she didn't see me.

"But why did you take all of it." "You could just have taken half of it. leave us something to survive the month." What are we supposed to do now, Rose? We have a baby in the house, you have to travel to Nairobi everyday?" she asked me, and waited for a genius answer. "Eeh?" she added (And i thought it was a rhetorical question.)

My aunt called my mother immediately.

To my surprise my mum was not worried about the money.....her only question was:

Is she okay now? My aunt said that i´m still a little confused.

My mum boarded a night bus from Meru that same night and arrived in Thika early the next morning before we even woke up. I didn't even know she was coming, so tears ran down my cheeks after seeing her at the doorstep that morning.

"Do you think i would even fall sleep knowing my little girl is in trouble?" she told me
She wanted to bring me to the doctor, but i resisted. "We should get a neurologists check your brain," she said. "Who knows what damages this might have left behind?" she was concerned.

"I´m fine now!" i repeated myself a thousand times.

I can not count how many times i had to tell and re-tell the whole story over and over again. One or the other would interrupt me and ask some detail.

"Were they Kikuyus?" one would ask.
"Did they tell you some fake names?" "Did you tell them your real name?" "How were they dressed?" "
"Why did they not come into the house with you, to  meet auntie?"the other would add.

My mum gave my aunt all the money i had taken, and after a while everything went back to normal.

Now and then someone would crack a joke in my expense and say something like:

"Hebu, don´t show Rose where you keep your money, you never know to whom she will give it to next time.
or "Hi, Rose. Did you bring some robbers with you today?"

Today i´m more conscious when talking to strangers. I keep my distance, i don´t shake hands and have bible verses ready for moments like this.

I experienced the love of a mother, the support of family and i learnt the hard way that demonic powers are real.  


Sorry guys that this post was a little too long. If you had the patience to read to the end. Thank you very much. I appreciate.

Lots of luv
ItsRose_Beth


Comments