being an Au-pair in Germany ~part 2~ the dog incident

"Rose, wir sind da!" "Willkommen in Speck!". 

I  can still hear the echoing sound of these words in my ears even today! 

The six years old boy Mathias and the eleven years old girl Karin had accompanied their dad to the airport to pick me up. On arrival, they both jumped out of the car and signalised me to alight and follow them. 

I had just gotten used to the warmth in the cosy car but now i had to go out again to the anaesthetising cold. The ground was covered by freshly fallen snow flakes. My open shoes were sinking into the snow with every step. Grrrrrrr!Gheeeez....that cold was from another planet.

Since there were still a few flakes falling on our heads, we hurried to the main door. 

It was a gigantic old house. Standing 
Alone at a village street and on the rear side there was a huge field extending so far my eyes could see. Everything was glittery white. 
This is the day the idiom "as white as snow" grasped it's full meaning to me. 

The dad hurriedly opened the main door and let me in first.

And there sprang this huge and chubby dog on me. I was not ready for this surprise.

Back in Meru, when a dog tries to jump on you with an open mouth; run for your life, because that dog will bite off your body part in no time.

And with that mentality, i jumped and screamed to the top of my voice and in a fraction of a second i was back outside running so fast as though to win a marathon. 

"Lisa!Aus!" The dad commanded her to stop.

"Sorry Rose, i should have warned you." "Lisa is always a little excited when we come back home." She will not hurt you at all. Don't be afraid. "

That was not helping. Lisa (the dog) was still staring at me wiggling his tail. 

"Komm, streiche sie. Sie tut dir nichts." Karin tried to convince me. 

As i approached Lisa she started jumping on me and tried to lick my hands, my face...

That freaked me out a new. 

Dogs in Meru are trained to be watchmen. They know the members of the family and all others are potential theives to be kept away. 

"Nein, sie tut dir wirklich nichts." " schau..."

She called Lisa and Lisa was doing the same to her. Jumping on her and licking her everywhere. 

"How can you let a dog lick you. Lick even your face" i was disgusted!


"With time I'll get used to it!" I told myself.

The Au-pair dad took my luggage to the office where they had prepared for me a matress on the floor.

"Your room is still being renovated. I hope you wouldn't mind sleeping here for the next few weeks." He told me.

"No, it's okay." I told him.

To be honest. It really did not matter.

The dad and the kids were incredibly nice to me. And for me, that was the important part.

My only question was: where is the mother?


Till next time thanks for reading.

I wish you all a blessed week.

Lots of luv
ItsRose_Beth






Comments