Being an Au-pair in Germany ~Part 3~



So there i was in the office, standing in-front of this beautifully made mattress, next to my huge suite case.

"You must be so tired! Relax and make yourself comfortable." The Au-pair dad told me as he locked the door behind him.


"What exactly does that mean? Make yourself comfortable?" I wondered to myself.
 

I sat on the mattress, trying not to be too nosy and too curious to look at the things lying and hanging around.

My feet were freezing cold from the snow. But i did not have any socks with me. I think i had never put on socks since my last day of high school. As long as i was concerned, socks were just part of a school uniform. But i was to be taught better on that matter :-)!

So i just decided to enter under the blankets to warm my feet.

I was so nervous so i could not really fall asleep, but i was really cold. So i covered my whole body (From head to toe) just to remain warm.

I guess what my Au-pair dad meant with "make yourself comfortable" was, take a shower, change your clothes, grab something to eat or drink..etc.

So when they realized that i was not getting out of the room they came to look for me.

I could hear the children whispering outside the door.

"Sollen wir klopfen?" one said

"Nein, vielleicht schläft sie ja schon." the other replied

"Nein, denk ich nicht dass sie schon schläft..." the one said back

"Dann klopf du mal!" the other suggested

"Sie ist wahrscheinlich sehr müde!" the other remarked

"Aber sie hat nichts gegessen." the one said.

They would discuss for a while then leave without knocking.

They did this severally that evening but did not dare knock even once.

I sat on the bed again, not sure to go open the door or not...

And then there was a strong and loud female voice to be heard from a far...

"You are already back?" she asked

"Where is she?"

The children tried to make her talk quieter

"Shhh!!! Mama nicht so laut, sie schläft" they told her.

"She is sleeping? Did you check her room?" she asked them

"Nein." They told her.

"She is not sleeping, she just doesn't know where to go and what to do." she told them.


She immediately knocked on my door with a confidence of a rock-star.

"Yeee..." but she was already inside before i could get to say the word `yes´.

"Hi Rose, i´m Ines" she told me as she shook my hand .

It was a handshake of a loving mother and a strict woman.

That reminded me of my own mother and i immediately felt at home.

"I hear that they brought you to your new home, but they did not show you around...." she complained

"Lets go start with the kitchen then at-least you will know where to get something to eat or to drink next time you are hungry or thirsty..." she said.

And with that, she turned and marched towards the kitchen and i followed her as closely as i possibly could not to miss a corner.

"Are you hungry?" She asked. I nodded. "We will have dinner soon. I hope you like the food here. What do you eat in Kenya?"



"I think i like her" i thought to myself as i watched her talk and explain to me every single thing.


"Its going to be okay!" i told myself, only to change my mind when dinner-time came...


Thanks for reading, join me on my next post on my first encounter with the German food...

Lots of luv,
ItsRose_Beth







Comments