The year 2001

Lets board a time Machine and travel a Decade earlier....


The year is 2001.
 

As I welcome this brand new year and depart from my old beloved 2000, I was in a freaked out mode.
I had just been 4 days in Germany.

4 days filled with all kinds of feelings that life had to offer.

I was as happy as a king, because i was fortunate enough to have the best Au-pair family ever!
They were kind, understanding and very patient with me. Especially with my German.
I could not have had a better catch. The kids were respectful and adorable in every way.

The mother had generously bought me my first pair of winter shoes and a jack-wolfskin winter jacket and i was feeling really welcome. The dad had asked me to think about how i wanted my room to be designed. In the following week we were to go shopping for the "Tapete" and the furniture.
Despite the fact that i did not know what "Tapete" was, i felt really involved.


My happiness was a little overshadowed by the fear.
I was not exactly sure what was expected of me. but the way i had started was not it, that i was certain.
I´m a quite clumsy person. In the four days that i was there, i had managed to break the mother´s favorite teapot and 2 glasses. I had vacuum cleaned Mathias Lego-parts and almost lost Karin´s rabbit.

"They are going to send me back to Kenya" i constantly told myself.


My fear was nothing compared to my shock.
I was still under the winter-shock.
Every time i put a foot outside the house my face especiallymy nose and my ears would instantly freeze.
Thanks to my new jacket and shoes, this was getting better.

But the largest and major feeling of the all, the one that i had continuously sustained and carried with me since day one. I was homesick! I missed my mother of them all. I missed her beatings and even her shouting.
I missed my dad and him pulling our ears whenever we did something wrong. I missed my brothers. Each and everyone of them. I missed how they used to get into my nerves, how they used to annoy me with every opportunity, how my youngest brother used to spit food on me when i tried feeding him. I missed my grandmother and her loving caring art. I missed my uncles, aunties, cousins even our workers.
Damn it! I even missed our cat, dog, cows, goats and chicken.

I missed the sun and the dust that covers your whole body, so that people would think that you have brown hair and brown eyebrows after riding a Matatu from Nkubu to Mikumbune.
I missed the women selling bananas and tomatoes at the road sides. I missed the hawkers roaming around from person to person with their huge collection of goods running from peanuts to watches trying to get the best bargain.

Yes, my biggest feeling at the time was my homesick, and they are the little stupid things that i missed most.

Lots of luv
ItsRose_Beth







Comments