Why black women scatter when it rains!

Its Autumn and the the weather has drastically changed from warm sweet sun rays greeting us every morning through the little openings of our curtains to cold and wet with rain drops all day long. For a black woman, this is the worst weather ever!

Someone once said "When it rains, black women scatter". People of other races watching the scene might conclude that black women are either crazy or ´rain-phobic´. Or is that even a word!?

No, our chocolate color will not be washed out if we stood in the rain.

It´s a hair thing!

Have you touched a black woman´s hair?

Well, don´t even dare! That is, if you mind a black eye or two ;-)!

A black woman has a special relationship with her hair.

She actually considers her hair her blessing and her curse at the same time.

The hair type kinky; which is that which mother nature gave to us, is not even recognized in any western application form. I remember applying for my visa to Germany and my parents and I were stuck on the point where we had to pick the hair type. There was straight, curly and wavy. We did not know which one to choose, because my hair is none of the above.

Kinky hair is more spiral, i would say. Tough but yet soft.

We love making our hair. Its almost artistic.

May it be braiding, twisting, threading, weaving, straightening etc.

Most of you reading will go; what the hell is all that?

If mother nature gave you long straight and silky hair, then you can not put yourself in my shoes and you will not get it, no matter how hard you try to.

I have short hair. No, of coz not by choice.

My hair gave up on growing, well, it just didn't even start to begin with :-)!

I have a heart for long hair. I think long hair is feminine, it´s sexy, its a statement piece just on its own.
I admire long hair. Whichever texture it takes. How it flows down to the shoulders, how it moves when you move and how it changes your whole face. 

So, i just have to get creative.
[ I plait 1 meter long braids and people go like; you hair is so loong...! and i go, thanks, its a miracle because yesterday it was only 20cm long.]

In the last tow years, i´ve discovered wigs, and i love them. I can be which ever hair type i want to be. Straight, curly, kinky...name it! And i don´t have to spend 8 hours on the saloon chair.

How it feels wearing another person´s hair on my head, you ask? Well, most of my wigs are not human hair, and the few that human hair, i just don´t even think about it. As far as i´m concerned, i bought it, so its mine.

[ So, people come and ask me, is that your real hair!?..."yeeees, because somehow my Afro underwent a reincarnation over night." I answer with a little irritation in my ton :-)]

So why black women scatter when it rains!?

Its because of the shrinkage. Oh Gheez, how do i explain that one!? Imagine your well tamed 50 cm long hair suddenly becoming 10cm! Yes, that what happens to our hair when it gets wet.

You don´t get it?

Well, talk to a black woman....


Thanks for reading.

Lots of luv
ItsRose_Beth







Comments