IT'S PRAYER TIME!

"I´m tired! "Ebu kujeni hapa!" my mother would shout every evening before she left for bed.

Because every evening, before we go to bed, we would all gather together around the coffee table as a family and pray.
Getting everyone together at the table at home back in the day was a big deal.  Everyone was always scattered everywhere doing their kind of crab.

After dinner, it was everyone´s personal time. I would lock myself in my room and pretend to be learning some history or geography, but in reality, I was just reading my favorite novel that my mum should not know I read. It used inappropriate language...you know...kissing, lust, sex, ....you know what I mean.

My older brother, who most likely is banned from watching the television, is busy and comfortably watching TV, thanks to his ingenuity, through the mirror which he precisely placed at an angle to the cupboard glass doors to reflect the made in Kenya television series "Vitimbi" or "inspector Mwala" running on KBC.

My younger brother is already fighting hard to keep his eyes open since he doesn't want to miss any part of the series. But he´s so sprightly and full of energy during the day that he´s always dead tired by the 7pm news time.

My Mum is busy marking her class eight English test and my dad is having a shower because he always showered after dinner.

Everyone is busy! Well, until my mother is tired. And when that happens we all know what time it is.

It´s time to pray!

This was our family ritual. EVERY single DAY... with no exception.

Praying was a necessity,  an opportunity, duty and right to everyone in my family.

It grew to become an urge, almost a craving that I can not live without.

In Kenya, praying is a norm while in Germany its a rarity. No wonder we get to face a few challenges.

But nevertheless I always remember my mother´s words; "Prayer is the most powerful weapon on earth."

When I was in Kenya, and lived under the care of my parents, under the comforting roof of their home, eat their delicious healthy food from their garden and always counted on their coins for my pocket money, I did not understand the truth in this sentence.

Until I came to Germany and I had to face life all on my own.
If I needed a roof over my head, the only thing I could do was just apply for the apartment i wanted. If I was in need of a job the only thing I could do was apply for the freaking job. I suddenly realized that my capabilities were very limited. No education level, no contacts, no sweet talks...nothing was powerful enough to get me anywhere.

And there I understood the real meaning of my mother´s favorite saying "prayer is the most powerful weapon on earth!" And if you know me, then i bet you will agree with me. Miracles happen! Believe ,me i live them everyday.

And so ladies and gents, no matter what war we are facing, let's get on our knees. Its time to sharpen our most powerful weapon.

Lots of love,
itsRosebeth



Comments