WHEN LIFE HAPPENS...

Why do good things happen to bad people and bad things to good people???

This is the question we ask ourselves again and again, especially when we are confronted by situations that we can not wrap our heads around.

In my old apartment, there lived Mr. Böstel on the ground floor. Such a lovely and enthusiastic older man of around 75 years. Whenever i came home or on my way to work, Mr. Böstel would stop me and tell me some of his life experiences.

"I´ve lived here for the last 20 years" Mr. Böstel told me one morning.

"I moved in here, after i lost my wife to cancer; lung cancer" he added.
"No, she was not a smoker, if you were wondering" he continued quickly while looking down to me with his face a little slanted to the right.
"Never smoked a cigarette...not even one in the whole of her life" he added in a breaking voice.
"I...on the other hand," he said taking a step backwards so that i may have a better look at him…"I´ve smoked since I was 17 years young"...."and look at me still healthy like a horse, even 20 years after my lovely wife died." he finished while he took another deep puff of the last piece of his cigarette.

"Scheiß Leben!" he closed, as he forcefully steps on his cigarette remains and entered back to the apartment.

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" I wondered while i ran down the road to catch my train.

It´s that time of the year again. It´s time for Familie Mutua to pay the dentist a visit. None of them likes visiting Dr. Weber. Neither the parents nor the kids. But this is something they need to do.
After Dr. Weber examines them using his mirrors, scratching here and there, spraying and washing now and then, the children are glowingly happy with their lollipops, since everything is perfect; only Mr. Mutua is gloomy. He needs to make another appointment since one of his left-lower molars has a cavity.

"Did you not brush your teeth thoroughly, dad?" Lisa, the youngest of the three looks at him and asks.

The dad is speechless. Almost tongue-tied! He doesn´t know what to tell his little princess.

He always preached to her to clean her teeth thoroughly, the only way she would avoid getting cavities in her teeth. The only way she can keep her beautiful smile shinning forever.

Mr. Mutua cleans his teeth carefully and mindfully two times a day.

How can he explain to his curious daughter that one could get cavities even though they clean their teeth thoroughly?

How can he make her understand that, in this world that we live in good is not always rewarded with good?

Do our deeds then even matter?

"Yes, they do." My pastor told us today.

Focusing on the 'blink of an eye' that we call life on this earth will not help us understand the consequences of our deeds, but the thought of eternity can help us cope. The idea of, when the time comes, justice will rule.


That´s at least something, right?

Stay blessed, till the next read.

Lots of love,
ItsRosebeth


Comments