WHO AM I!?


"Know who you are!" my pastor told us today.

And as though speaking direct to my soul, he added;

"Always remember who you are!" Only when you know who you are, will you know where you are heading to." He concluded.

And there i started asking myself:

"Who am I?"

I made a pretty long list of that which i thought i was: Including a woman, a daughter, a mother, a friend, a sister, a scientist, a work-mate, a Christian....etc. The list was endless.

Only to realize, that which I am is a CHILD OF GOD. That is what precedes all my other identities.

Only when you know who you are, will you know where you are heading to….

I´ve been traveling a lot over the last few weeks. While on the A3 on Thursday heading for Regensburg, I got to watch a "Giganten Kampf". This is what Germans refer to two trucks that are competing with each other, where the one does not slow down to let the other pass and his buddy has reached his speed limit and the Tacho does not change no matter how tight he pushes that gas pedal. These two were so determined that none of them wanted to back up and admit defeat. It lasted almost 5 minutes which for the rest of us felt like eternity. Cars were building a long traffic behind the tracks and many of the other drivers were getting impatient.

I checked out all these cars around me, all experiencing this gigantic slow down caused by the Giganten Kampf. The lady in the navy blue Ford to my right was on her cell phone, The bi-racial couple in the black Audi A4 to my left were in deep conversation and the gentleman in his grey VW in front of me was getting really impatient.

"So many different reactions to the same stimuli…." I thought to myself.

They all had different destinations. The lady on the phone was heading to the  doctor´s appointment. A liver-CT was scheduled for 8 am. In fact she was on the phone with the doctor´s assistant trying to get her appointment pushed a few minutes later, since she was getting late.

The impatient gentleman was going to his 10th interview this month. "I cant come late, I need to make a good impression." He was thinking to himself.

The couple was on their way to the airport. They are heading to the Bahamas. Their honeymoon; three years after their weeding. "That´s why i always add an hour for the traffic…" He was telling his wife proudly.

And it immediately hit me! This is just like life.

Everyone reacts differently to same life challenges depending on where we are heading to.

If we don´t know who we are and where we are going to, then life becomes this unbearable struggle. We end up comparing ourselves with others who are heading to other destinations and end up lost on the way. You might end up in Munich when your destination is in Regensburg.

So, let me give you this one for the week like my pastor gave it to me:

KNOW WHO YOU ARE and always REMEMBER who you are.


Lots of love,
ItsRosebeth

Comments